Data Network Engineer needed for the operation of large Wide Area and Local Area IP Networks.
This position will be responsible for supporting large, complex IPv4 & IPv6 Networks based in the Verizon Wireless defined South Area.
Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
• Support the Wireless RAN (Radio Access Network), WSN (Wireless Services Network), WVN (Wireless Voice Network), EDN (Engineering Data Network) and the IT (Information Technology) Networks
• Configure and support IP routers, Ethernet switches, MPLS routers, and some legacy ATM equipment which will need to be configured to meet customer requirements, network capacity and project demands.
• Provide design input, implement hardware, and provide extensive technical support and documentation for these LAN/WAN networks.
• Audit network elements for alarming, configuration inconsistencies and optimization.
• Perform accurate and timely capacity management for both hardware and circuits
• As internetworking issues are discovered/experienced, proactively provide troubleshooting and offer guidance to Operations teams to resolve these issues.
• Provide 4th tier technical support to Data Operations on all networking issues.
• Strictly adhere to all company standards, policies, and procedures
• Provide 24x7 on-call availability and support for the South Area
• Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent data networking and telecommunications service experience.
• Certifications highly desirable: CCNA or JNCPIA. CCNP or JNCIS preferred.
• Minimum 5 years experience in data networking and telecommunications, including expert knowledge of TCP/IP (IPv4 & IPv6), OSPF, BGP, and working “hands on” knowledge of routing and Ethernet switching.
• MPLS Layer 2 and Layer 3 hands-on experience required
• LTE knowledge is preferred
• Minimum 5 years hands-on experience configuring routers, switches and related network equipment (Cisco CRS, 12K, 10K, 9K/1K, 3900, 3800, 2600 routers, Nexus 7000 switches, 6500 switches, Juniper MX-480, MX-960 routers, EX8200 switches. ATM products including Cisco MGX8850/8950 ATM switch, Nortel Passport ATM switch, Cisco IOS, Cisco IOS-XR, JUNOS
• Minimum 5 years experience in IP addressing and sub-netting, Ethernet VLANs, PPP, Frame Relay, ATM, PNNI, DS0 through OC-48 circuits, fiber/CAT5 cabling,
• Use of NCM and ISC or other automated configuration tool a plus
• Extensive experience writing detailed Methods Of Procedure (MOPs)
• Experience with network design, configuration and troubleshooting
• Ehealth network performance knowledge
• Firewall/Security experience helpful, including Juniper SRX
• Excellent computer skills with experience in Windows, MS Office, Project, and Visio
• Ability to learn quickly
• Strong analytical skills
• Strong communication skills
• Strong ability to multi-task and handle multiple, high priority, high visibility projects concurrently
• Take action with little to no direction
• Balance multiple projects in an environment with high performance expectations and day to day pressure to deliver on time, on budget and to specification.
• Proactively build collaborative relationships with company operating area and region teams that foster positive results and relationship strength over time.
• Demonstrate customer sensitivity and motivate desired behaviors through timely, effective and clear oral and written communication
• Occasional Overnight travel will be required but will be less than 10% of your time.